To help customers better manage and reduce the cost of backing up and recovering company data, Dell today unveiled its next generation disk backup appliance built on the Fluid Data architecture.
The new high performance Dell DR4100 disk backup appliance can help customers reduce the amount of necessary backup storage capacity — by up to 15 times — with Dell’s built-in data deduplication and compression technologies. Latest advancements in Dell’s backup appliance offer customers expansion shelves for improved storage capacity, increased “many-to-one” replication capabilities for improved disaster recovery, and additional backup software certifications for enhanced interoperability.
“Companies of all sizes are tasked with managing the persistent growth of data, and they often struggle with cost-efficiently and effectively handling data backup and recovery,” said Alan Atkinson, vice president and general manager, Dell Storage. “For those looking to augment or replace traditional tape environments with the speed and reliability of a disk-based solution, the Dell DR4100 simplifies backup and recovery while optimizing storage resources. The addition of expansion shelves, combined with our advanced data deduplication and compression technologies, offers customers a simple, affordable and scalable way to manage data protection.”
The easy to deploy and manage Dell DR4100, based on the latest Dell PowerEdge 12 th generation servers, is a disk backup target appliance with built-in deduplication and compression technology designed to significantly reduce the amount of storage required. Benefiting from Dell’s acquired Ocarina data reduction algorithms, customers can eliminate redundant copies of data and decrease disk capacity requirements by up to 93 percent. The appliance performs all data reduction operations, removing this function from the customer’s application and backup servers and eliminating any impact on backup and recovery performance.The appliance can reduce or eliminate the dependence on managing tape backups while enabling customers to maintain their backup data on disk longer, enabling fast and reliable restores when needed. Additional Dell DR4100 capabilities and benefits include:
- Scalable Capacity — Offers customers the ability to add up to two expansion shelves (9,18 or 27 terabytes each), providing seamless scalability and larger capacity than competing platforms. 2 Customers can scale their solution from 2.7 terabytes to 81 terabytes of usable capacity — or up to 1.2 petabytes of logical capacity — as their business and data backup demands grow. 1
- Improved Disaster Recovery — Fast, daily, deduplicated replication of backup data can be performed using many-to-one replication that supports up to 32 nodes in different locations replicating to one central node. This can reduce the burden on IT staff backing-up many sites by providing a simple disaster recovery solution that can help reduce capital and operational costs associated with it, while minimizing backup storage needs at remote offices.
- Broader Backup Software Certifications — Designed to work with a vast array of backup software applications, the Dell DR4100 supports leading vendors including Dell (AppAssure and Quest), Symantec, CommVault, Oracle and CA among others.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV