Travelers (NYSE: TRV) announced today a new Prepare and Prevent campaign to educate consumers about the risks of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and to offer prevention tips and resources for keeping their homes and families safe. Through the campaign, Travelers reminds consumers that carbon monoxide detectors can help provide a vital, highly effective, and low-cost protection against poisoning. Travelers has also arranged for a special offer* from First Alert® on the purchase of a carbon monoxide detector.
“Travelers is committing to helping you, your family and others avoid carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Greg Toczydlowski, President of Travelers Personal Insurance. “Fortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning can be preventable, and these small additions to your home can have a big impact on your life. Simple plug-in alarms can help detect if the gas reaches toxic levels in the home to help keep families safe.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die each year from unintentional CO poisoning with more than 20,000 Americans visiting the emergency room and more than 4,000 hospitalized.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of various fuels from heating appliances commonly found in the home, such as furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces,” said Ken Katz, Property Director for Travelers Risk Control. “If homeowners add alternative heating sources into their homes – particularly during these cold winter months – or use generators during power outages, they may be putting themselves at a higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. With the right preparation, however, homeowners can help reduce exposure to this poisonous gas and keep themselves and their loved ones safe.”Below are measures that homeowners can take to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home:
- Correct Installation: Have all fuel burning appliances and associated flues/chimneys installed by licensed professionals.
- Regular Maintenance: Make sure all appliances are maintained and serviced in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions by a qualified technician.
- Proper Ventilation: Ensure equipment and their exhaust outlets are free of debris or obstruction to allow harmful gases to escape.
- Equipment Placement: Do not run engines or generators in closed areas or near openings into your home, such as windows, doors, garages, dryer vents or similar.
- Detection: Install CO detectors that meet UL standards. Test regularly and maintain them in accordance with manufacturer’s guidelines.