SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Only 31% of Americans who received a traffic ticket in the past five years are paying more for car insurance as a result, according to new research released today by InsuranceQuotes.com, a Bankrate (NYSE: RATE) company.
Younger drivers are the most likely to face higher car insurance costs after receiving a traffic ticket. Forty-one percent of 18-29 year-olds reported higher car insurance premiums after a ticket versus 32% of 30-49 year-olds and 15% of those 50 and older. The most common increase is under $100 per year.
InsuranceQuotes.com attributes this to the fact that younger drivers, already perceived as riskier than their older counterparts, face more scrutiny from insurance carriers. Most carriers check young drivers' motor vehicle reports every six months, whereas many carriers do not regularly check older drivers' records.Laura Adams, senior insurance analyst at InsuranceQuotes.com, offers the following strategies for limiting the impact of a traffic ticket:
- Attend traffic safety school to wipe points off your driving record and improve your driving skills
- Consult an attorney, especially if you have accumulated several points
- Avoid getting an additional ticket, since many insurance carriers allow one minor moving violation every three to five years
- Keep your vehicle registration, license plates and state inspection up to date so that you don't draw extra attention from law enforcement officials
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV