Anyway, as I watched Huggers riff quite candidly on Intel's plans, I couldn't help but think, re: Apple:
Why bother getting into this mess of content negotiations and such when you can make a television -- a piece of hardware -- that is premium-priced and blows everything else away, just like iPod did to the Walkman, iPhone did to the mobile phone and iPad did to the PC laptop?
If Apple did what it does best -- produced a beautiful, easy-to-use piece of hardware -- and called it a television, it could win at the same time as Intel wins by putting a chip into a new-fangled cable box with Huggers' brain behind it.
There's meaningful competition and there's unnecessary stupidity. Apple and Intel, not to mention the slew of others already in and/or about to enter the field, putting out dueling set-top boxes makes no sense.I smell a partnership. I smell Huggers and Intel Media, in conjunction with Apple, saving Intel's hide. Huggers isn't stupid. He's not dumb either. Same goes for Tim Cook. Apple and Intel are talking to one another. Granted, I know nothing, but that doesn't keep me from putting two and two together.
God have mercy on the man / Who doubts what he's sure of
Bruce Springsteen, "Brilliant Disguise"Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV