Fifth annual Sun Life Financial survey finds only about one quarter of Canadians expect to retire at traditional age as 2008 downturn leaves a lasting impact
TORONTO, Feb. 20, 2013 /CNW/ - Economic uncertainty over the past five years has had an impact on Canadians' retirement plans, as Sun Life Financial's annual Canadian Unretirement TM Index found that the number of Canadians who expect to be retired at age 66 has dropped to only 27 per cent in this year's study from 51 per cent in 2008, a decline of almost 50 per cent.
For the first time in five years of tracking retirement trends, the index found that the number of Canadians who expect to be retired at 66 (27 per cent) is almost equal to Canadians who expect to be working full-time at 66 (26 per cent). Almost another third (32 per cent) expect to be working part-time at 66 adding up to almost 60 per cent of Canadians who expect to work past the traditional retirement age, while about 15 per cent are not certain.
"The dream of being able to afford a full retirement at age 66 is declining among Canadians, it's being replaced by the reality that many people expect to be working beyond the traditional retirement age," said Kevin Dougherty, President, Sun Life Financial Canada. "The aftermath of the financial crisis of 2008 has had a lasting impact with more Canadians expecting they will need to work longer as a result."The survey revealed that more Canadians are expecting to work past 66 because of necessity and fear of outliving their savings:
- 63 per cent expect they will need to work past 66 compared with 37 per cent wanting to work.
- With Canadians expecting to be retired for an average of 20 years, over a third (38 per cent) say there is a serious risk of outliving their retirement savings.
- Almost a third (31 per cent) of Canadians are not at all confident that they will have enough for medical expenses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV