By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT) has been holding its ground for months, and now the bulls are looking for the next leg higher.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of about 2,500 March 25 calls, with the largest block pricing for $4. A short while later, a similar number of April 30 calls were bought for $3.20 to $4.70. There was barely any open interest at either strike, indicating that new money was put to work on the long side.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares, so they can generate significant leverage in the event of a rally. But they're also susceptible to losing most or all of their value if the stock doesn't move.Shares rose 4.98% to $27.61 Tuesday. The drug developer is up about 2,500% since July, driven by strong clinical-trial data of its eteplirsen compound for the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. The stock has been paused more recently, allowing its 100-day moving average to catch up with the share price. That could be leading some traders to believe that it's ready to continue higher. Total option volume in the name was eight times greater than average Tuesday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 15-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in SRPT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV