Asia Stocks Up As Takeover Talk In US Drives Dow
"Positive news in the form of a bigger than forecast rise in February German ZEW investor confidence helped to shore up market sentiment although perhaps the main message here is one of German outperformance rather than eurozone recovery," analysts at Credit Agricole CIB in Hong Kong said in a research note.
Looking ahead, traders are concerned about political developments in Italy. An election this weekend could result in a split parliament, making it difficult for a coalition government to push through unpopular economic reforms.
"The eurozone is going to be a distraction throughout the year. There will be good results. And you will have bad results," said Evan Lucas, market strategist at IG Markets in Melbourne.
Among individual stocks, Australia's Woodside Petroleum rose 3.1 percent after lifting its full year net profit. BHP Billiton, the world's largest mining company, fell 1.1 percent after announcing its chief executive Marius Kloppers, will retire in May. Kloppers will be replaced on May 10 by the chief executive of BHP's non-ferrous metals division, Andrew Mackenzie.Benchmark oil for April delivery was down 4 cents to $97.06 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The March contract expires Wednesday. That contract rose 80 cents to finish at $96.66 per barrel on the Nymex on Tuesday. In currencies, the euro rose slightly to $1.3417 from $1.3416 late Tuesday in New York. The dollar fell to 93.34 yen from 93.44 yen. ___ Follow Pamela Sampson on Twitter at http://twitter.com/pamelasampson
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV