West Pharmaceutical Services
A similar consolidation pattern is taking shape in shares of West Pharmaceutical Services (WST) right now. In this case, West is churning sideways in a rectangle pattern after making a big move higher in the middle of January. You want to trade this setup exactly the same way, buying a move through $60 resistance and selling a drop through $59 support. That tight range makes a signal just a matter of time.
Don't get too caught up with the rectangle classification in WST, however.
Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. Triangles, rectangles, and other pattern names are a good quick way to explain what's going on in this stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares.Resistance at $60 is a price where there's an excess of supply of shares; in other words, it's a place where sellers have been more eager to take recent gains and sell their shares than buyers have been to buy. That's what makes the breakout above $60 so significant -- it indicates that buyers are finally strong enough to absorb all of the excess supply above that price level. The opposite is true for $59 support. Here again, momentum favors an upside move in WST, but it's unwise to actually make a trade until price moves outside of the rectangle. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV