Streaming cost: $8 with four DVD kiosk credits
You can still stream only through Apple iOS, Google (GOOG) Android devices and Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360 and the catalog is roughly 2,000 movies found easily on competing streaming services thanks to a deal with Epix. While there are some fine offerings such as Lars and the Real Girl and Winter's Bone and cult classics including Back To School and Roxanne, you're looking at a whole lot of bargain bin and straight-to-video films until this service gets the content to back it up.
That said, the kiosks credits they're throwing in offer access to new releases similar to that of Netflix's DVD plan. That bridge helped bring customers to Netflix streaming and, as long as Redbox learns from Netflix's mistake and doesn't go doubling the price off the bat, should offer Redbox Instant a lifeline as it builds its library. That could take a while. Of the Top 200 items streamed on Netflix, Redbox Instant has exactly a dozen of them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV