Shareholders are currently paid a handsome dividend for holding shares of BX. The current yield-to-price is still an impressive 8.77% based on the closing price of $19.15. My concern is this yield represents a payout ratio of over 300%!
Maybe that's based on all the new rent money that will be flowing in during 2013. But it takes time to buy existing houses, prepare them for occupancy and then put them on the market as rentals. When the three million houses are rented and the cash flow starts coming in, the upside on BX should be pretty!
In the meantime, if you own shares, one way you can protect yourself is by using a "stealth" trailing stop-loss system like TradeStops, to which I subscribe. It sends subscribers a timely alert when shares have dropped to your pre-determined stop-loss levels without the market makers being able to see where you intend to sell.
These are exciting times for real estate-related investing. Those who bought shares of BX on the way up should be encouraged. For those who didn't, patience and a reasonable 5% to 10% price correction will open the gate for a more opportunistic buying opportunity. The same can be said for WY.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @m8a2r1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage. Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV