Today, Waste Management (NYSE: WM) announced the winners of the 2012 Sustainability Circle of Excellence Award, a recognition given to the top customers in the construction industry who achieved outstanding sustainability milestones during the planning and building phases of their projects. To be considered for this award, each winner used Waste Management’s innovative Diversion and Recycling Tracking Tool (DARTSM) to track their performance throughout the year.
DART, which is an online portal used to follow environmental performance during construction projects, calculates the amount of waste that customers divert from the landfill, as well as the different types of materials put to reuse. Information is updated daily to track the sustainable performances of some of the nation’s top builders, who can then use the information to pursue LEED® certification for their projects, as well as set future green goals.
The winning companies diverted the highest total tonnage of waste from landfills to recycling facilities and include:
- Balfour Beatty Construction, LLC – Robert Van Cleave, Chairman & CEO
- Brasfield and Gorrie LLC – Jim Gorrie, President
- Gilbane Building Company – Thomas Gilbane, Jr., Chairman & CEO
- Jersen Industries – David Jersen, CEO
- McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. – Michael Bolen, Chairman & CEO
- Skanska USA Inc. – Michael McNally, President & CEO
- W.A. Sheets & Sons – Phil Sheets, Jr., President
- Whiting-Turner Contracting Company – Timothy Regan, Executive Vice President
- William H. Lane Inc. – William Lane, CEO
“This award is recognition of a shared commitment to profitable green business practices and the environment,” said David Steiner, Waste Management President and CEO. “We congratulate each company for their outstanding environmental performance and look forward to tracking these benchmarks in the future, as they represent a shared commitment to diversion, recycling and sound environmental practices.”