Demand Media® (NYSE: DMD) today announced that its board of directors has authorized a plan to explore separating its business into two independent, publicly-traded companies:
- A pure-play media company with a powerful outsourced content creation platform that organically grows its audience, leading web properties that reach over 100 million monthly unique visitors, and an integrated monetization platform that incorporates branded, network and mobile revenue streams; and
- A pure-play domain services company that would be the only end-to-end provider offering registry services, expansive wholesale and retail distribution, and comprehensive aftermarket services.
“Both businesses have grown to become leaders in their respective markets, and we now want to provide additional operational and strategic flexibility to drive sustainable growth,” said Richard Rosenblatt, Chairman and CEO, Demand Media. “We believe a separation will position each business to better pursue its specific strategic priorities and vision, as well as improve transparency for investors and enable the capital markets to better assess each company’s value, performance and potential.”
Rosenblatt added: “We intend to appropriately capitalize both companies to pursue their distinct growth opportunities, such as the upcoming launch of new generic Top Level Domains that is a transformative event for our domain services business, as well as further diversifying our content offerings in our media business.”
Demand Media anticipates that the potential transaction will be in the form of a tax-free distribution to U.S. stockholders of new publicly traded stock in the domain services company. The Company expects that the completion of this transaction could take place in the next nine to twelve months. Executing this transaction requires further work on structure, management, governance, and other significant matters. Over the next several months, Demand Media’s management, working with outside advisers, intends to develop detailed plans for the board's further consideration and approval.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts