The shares trade for 1.2 times their reported Dec. 31 tangible book value of $134.06, and for 10.7 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $14.89, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $13.58.
Goldman reported 2012 net earnings applicable to common stockholders of $7.3 billion, or $14.13 a share, increasing from $2.5 billion, or $4.51 a share, as the company's debt underwriting business saw a major recovery, and rising markets helped it earn solid profits on investments. The company reported a return on average common equity of 10.7% for 2012, increasing from 3.7% the previous year.
Credit Suisse analyst Howard Chen rates Goldman Sachs "outperform," with a 12-month price target of $160.00, saying in a report on Feb. 12 that "current valuations continue to suggest very low embedded return expectations."
Chen called Goldman "a best-in-class brokerage franchise with solid market positioning across myriad client businesses and a strong balance sheet," and said that "with a proven ability to gain and sustain market share across the franchise and a long track record of performance and achieving premier returns, we expect GS to continue to deliver fundamental results that are at the high end of the peer group."Credit Suisse estimates Goldman will earn $13.60 a share this year, and is way out in front of the consensus, estimating 2014 EPS of $16.10. GS data by YCharts
Interested in more on Goldman Sachs? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV