Town Sports International Holdings, Inc. (“TSI” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ: CLUB), a leading owner and operator of health clubs located primarily in major cities from Washington, DC north through New England, operating under the brand names “New York Sports Clubs,” “Boston Sports Clubs,” “Washington Sports Clubs” and “Philadelphia Sports Clubs,” announced its results for the fourth quarter and full-year ended December 31, 2012.
Fourth Quarter Overview:
- The Company paid a special cash dividend of $3.00 per share on December 11, 2012. The aggregate amount of the dividends paid totaled $70.3 million with another $1.1 million payable as restricted shares vest.
- Total member count decreased 12,000 to 510,000 in Q4 2012 and decreased by 13,000 for the full-year 2012.
- Membership monthly attrition averaged 3.5% per month in Q4 2012 compared to 3.4% per month in Q4 2011.
- Revenue of $114.2 million in Q4 2012 decreased 1.4% compared to Q4 2011.
- Comparable club revenue decreased 1.1% in Q4 2012.
- Diluted loss per share was $0.02 in Q4 2012 compared to diluted earnings per share of $0.14 in Q4 2011.
- Q4 2012 results reflected the following items amounting to an aggregate net charge of approximately $7.8 million before taxes (approximately $4.3 million net of taxes) or approximately $0.18 per diluted share:
- $3.2 million ($1.9 million net of taxes) of fixed asset write-offs related to four clubs that sustained damage as a result of Hurricane Sandy.
- $1.6 million ($924,000 net of taxes) of incremental interest charges related to expenses incurred in connection with the Q4 2012 additional borrowing under the Company’s credit facility.
- $2.5 million ($1.5 million net of taxes) of an equivalent cash bonus paid to certain option holders in connection with the Company’s special dividend payment.
- $577,000 ($340,000 net of taxes) of consulting and administration expenses and incremental compensation expense incurred in connection with the Company’s special dividend payment and related stock option modifications.
- $340,000 of discrete tax benefits.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $23.2 million in Q4 2012, an increase of $333,000, or 1.5%, when compared to Adjusted EBITDA of $22.9 million in Q4 2011 (Refer to the reconciliation below).
Robert Giardina, Chief Executive Officer of TSI, commented: “We are pleased to have delivered 2012 Adjusted EBITDA of $100 million, modestly exceeding the goal we set for ourselves at the beginning of the year despite the impact of Hurricane Sandy, which resulted in 131 temporary club closures and a decline in member traffic. We are firmly focused on driving personal training and other ancillary revenues and are very excited about the response to new programs like our signature classes, small group training classes and UXF. We also plan to expand our club base, and see opportunities for both acquisitions and new locations in 2013.”