DETROIT, Feb. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As the nation prepares to celebrate the 50 th anniversary of the "I Have a Dream" speech, the DTE Energy Foundation is partnering with Detroit Public Television to present a thought-provoking community conversation about the successes and struggles of the civil rights movement. The event will take place Feb. 25 at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History.
Judge Damon J. Keith, who serves on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, will kick off the discussion facilitated by Stephen Henderson, host of Detroit Public Television's "American Black Journal." The audience of invited community leaders and the general public will be encouraged to participate in the discussion.
"We believe that Detroit and southeast Michigan are at a critical junction today," said Joyce Hayes Giles, assistant to chairman and senior vice president of Public Affairs for DTE Energy. "In order for our community to reach its full potential, we need to build on the successes that bring us together, but to also learn from the struggles that keep us apart," said Giles, who also serves as chair of the DTE Energy Foundation. "We can't think of a better person to lead this discussion than one of the icons of the Civil Rights Movement, Judge Damon Keith."
The community discussion grew out of the DTE Energy Foundation's and Detroit Public Television's shared commitment to social and cultural diversity. The DTE Energy Foundation partners with a number of organizations to promote diversity, understanding and inclusiveness. DPTV tackles the issues through provocative programming including American Black Journal, which has provoked stimulating dialogue for 40 years.A limited number of seats are available for the free event, which will be held 6 p.m. Monday at the museum, 315 E. Warren Ave., Detroit. For ticket information call 248.305.3774 or send an email to Events@dptv.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV