NanoMarkets Issues New Report Covering Market For Sensors For The Internet-of-Things
GLEN ALLEN, Va., Feb. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Industry analyst firm NanoMarkets today announced the release of its new report titled "Sensors for the Internet-of-Things: 2013-2020" The report analyzes and quantifies the opportunities for Internet-connected sensor products in six key industry sectors: home automation, commercial building automation, media and gaming, healthcare, the "Industrial Internet," and "transportation and logistics." The report covers both the sensors and the hubs through which they are connected.
NanoMarkets estimates that the global market for IoT sensors will be approximately $1.6 billion ($US) in 2013, and will grow to a value of $17.6 billion ($US) by the end of the decade as sensors become increasingly connected to the Internet directly or through hubs. However, NanoMarkets notes that much of this growth will be at the expense of conventional sensors with no Internet connectivity.
Additional details about the report are available at: http://nanomarkets.net/market_reports/report/the_market_for_sensors_in_the_internet_of_things_market_2013_to_2020
About the Report:This report contains detailed, eight-year forecasts of sensors for the Internet-of-Things (IoT) broken out by type of application sector and type of sensor. The forecast specifically covers devices that sense light, heat, touch/pressure, motion, sound and gas/chemical. The report also examines the trends that are driving demand for IoT sensors in each major applications sector and the enabling technologies that are making deployment of IoT sensors possible. The report also discusses the strategies of firms that NanoMarkets believes will shape the IoT sensor market including Ambient, Apple, AT&T, Ayogo, Axeda, FedEx, Freescale, GE, Ginger I/O, Google, Green Peaks, IBM, Intel, Interdigital, Invensense, Kore, Linquet, M2O, Microsoft, Nokia, OnStar, Orange, Ouya, QualComm, Red Pine, Rogers, Sensinode, Sony, Valve and Xi3. From the Report:
- IoT sensors will become ubiquitous, but the market will be dominated by residential and commercial building automation and the "Industrial Internet." In 2018, NanoMarkets says that these applications will account for more than 90 percent of the market. NanoMarkets sees especially rapid growth in sensors for the Industrial Internet which will help control industrial processes and smart objects in industrial environments. But some of the most hyped applications – gaming and healthcare, in particular – have limited growth and market size potential. For example, annual healthcare expenditures on IoT sensors will not grow beyond $400 million during the coming decade.
- NanoMarkets believes that a major opportunity exists to create cost-effective means of bringing legacy sensor networks online with a major opportunity for wireless sensor hubs which will generate revenues of $1.24 billion by 2018. Commercially successful hubs will also need to be IPv6 Internet gateways, since few sensor devices directly support Internet protocols as yet. Even when sensor devices begin to include security, context, localization and data context functions, it will be some time before they become affordable for IoT applications.
- Automation of both commercial and residential building is where the largest revenues for IoT sensors will be generated, with commercial building automation accounting for $7.9 billion in revenues in 2018. Energy control is the "killer app" here; just 1% savings in commercial building energy costs worldwide would amount to some US $62bn in savings through 2020. Building automation markets – especially the residential segment – need plug-and-play, convenience (on par with entertainment experiences) and the ability to use smartphones as controllers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV