1) Synergies of integration are minimal and are significantly lower than current trading discount.In the November 29 th press release response to our proposal, the Company claimed that there are substantial synergies between its Bearings and Steel Businesses, particularly driven by selling synergies and shared material knowledge. This argument was not repeated on the Company’s January 24 th earnings call. Our extensive analysis shows that the cost benefits and revenue synergies between the businesses are minimal. During both our meetings we asked management to quantify the synergies between the Bearings and Steel Businesses. As you know, management was unable to quantify any meaningful benefits during those meetings or in subsequent public communications with investors. SKF (Swedish Exchange, ticker: SKFB), one of Timken’s closest public bearings peers has excelled operationally and its shareholders have been rewarded since the company divested its vertically integrated steel business, Ovako, in 2005. We are confident that any small cost benefits or revenue synergies that may exist can be maintained following the split through joint venture agreements covering R&D spending, material procurement, combined selling, and/or any other business functions. These agreements have been used successfully before, including by SKF and Ovako. Additionally, Timken’s bearings operations are predominately located outside of Ohio and are not directly integrated with the steel facilities.
Relational Investors LLC And CalSTRS Urge Timken’s Board To Take Action To Separate The Company’s Businesses To Unlock Shareholder Value
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.