Housing data, including starts and existing home sales, are expected later this week. Inflation statistics were also due out. Improving housing data could knock back gold prices, which often react negatively to better economic data. Inflation has held relatively steady in recent years, despite the Fed's massive monetary stimulus programs since the Great Recession. A significant move up would make gold an appealing inflation hedge.
Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was slipping 0.28%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV