A.M. Best Comments On Great-West Lifeco Inc.’s Planned Acquisition Of The Irish Life Group, Ltd.
A.M. Best Co. has commented that the ratings of Great-West Lifeco Inc. (Lifeco) (Winnipeg, Manitoba), its North American life (re) subsidiaries and international reinsurance subsidiaries are unchanged following Lifeco’s recent announcement that it had reached a definitive agreement to acquire the Irish Life Group Ltd. (ILG), which includes Irish Life Assurance plc, for EUR 1.3 billion. ILG is currently owned by the Irish government, following its separation last June from Irish Life & Permanent Plc.
The transaction will propel the group to the leading life assurance and pension market position in Ireland, with a market share in excess of 30%. A.M. Best notes that the expected financing structure of the transaction results in Lifeco’s financial leverage position remaining within A.M. Best’s expectations.
While the acquisition of ILG is consistent with Great-West Life Assurance Company’s (GWL) growth strategy of achieving significant and sustainable scale advantages in core business lines, the acquisition is large, and with it comes the challenges of integration. However, A.M. Best notes that GWL has historically demonstrated an expertise in successfully integrating acquisitions and extracting significant expense savings.
The methodology used in determining these ratings is Best’s Credit Rating Methodology, which provides a comprehensive explanation of A.M. Best’s rating process and contains the different rating criteria employed in the rating process. Best’s Credit Rating Methodology can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.Founded in 1899, A.M. Best Company is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com. Copyright © 2013 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV