SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) and Freescale Semiconductor ® have collaborated to showcase a comprehensive LTE/3G picocell base station at the 2013 Mobile World Congress. This innovative small cell base station platform design is field deployable by mobile operators and also serves as a production-ready reference design to accelerate time to market for equipment manufacturers.
Ideal for outdoor public access or enterprise small cell applications, the LTE/3G picocell brings together a Freescale BSC9132 base station SoC card, a Maxim MAX2580 RF transceiver card, RF power amplifiers, and network management cards—all in a passively cooled enclosure and weighing in at 6.8kg. The BSC9132 features two Power Architecture e500 cores and two StarCore® DSP cores, along with Freescale's high-performance MAPLE-B2P baseband accelerator platform. The MAX2580 is an RF to Bits®, high-dynamic-performance LTE/3G radio transceiver. The BSC9132 and MAX2580 work seamlessly to deliver a complete multi-band, multi-standard small cell solution.
- MAX2580: Operates in all LTE bands from Band 1 to Band 41 with selectable channel bandwidths from 1.4MHz to 20MHz; supports FDD-LTE, TD-LTE, and WCDMA modes; JESD207 data interface provides a seamless radio interconnect between the MAX2580 and BSC9132.
- BSC9132: Supports multimode operation that enables it to process LTE-FDD/TDD and HSPA+ users simultaneously. It is engineered to address the performance and cost requirements of up to 20MHz single sector LTE-FDD/TDD. The BSC9132 can process 64 simultaneous users and handles 150Mbps downlink with 75Mbps uplink rates in 20MHz LTE-FDD/TDD mode, and 42Mbps downlink with 11.5Mbps uplink rates in 5MHz HSPA+ mode.
- "Freescale's highly integrated QorIQ Qonverge™ BSC9132 device provides dramatic improvements in performance, power, and cost in a single, flexible architecture," said Stephen Turnbull, Division Marketing Manager for Freescale's Digital Networking Group. "Our collaboration with Maxim has helped bring to market a highly differentiated solution for outdoor small cell deployments."
- "Maxim's MAX2580 RF to Bits transceiver delivers the required RF performance to implement state-of-the-art LTE/3G small cell base stations," said William Chu, Executive Director of RF Solutions at Maxim Integrated. "We are excited to collaborate with Freescale and bring to market an innovative production-ready small cell base station design."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts