MHI Hospitality Corporation (NASDAQ: MDH) (“MHI” or the “Company”), a self-managed and self-administered lodging real estate investment trust (a “REIT”), today reported its consolidated results for the fourth quarter and the year ended December 31, 2012. The Company’s results include the following *:
|Three months ended||Year ended|
|December 31, 2012||December 31, 2011||December 31, 2012||December 31, 2011|
|($ in thousands except per share data)|
|Net income (loss) attributable to the Company||1,458||(2,556||)||(4,105||)||(4,844||)|
|Net income (loss) per diluted share attributable to the Company||$||0.14||$||(0.26||)||$||(0.39||)||$||(0.50||)|
|FFO per share and unit||0.32||(0.07||)||0.30||0.23|
|Adjusted FFO per share and unit||0.17||0.05||0.73||0.43|
(*) Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (“EBITDA”), adjusted EBITDA, hotel EBITDA, funds from operations (“FFO”), adjusted FFO, FFO per share and unit and adjusted FFO per share and unit are non-GAAP financial measures. See further discussion of these non-GAAP measures, including definitions related thereto, and reconciliations to net income (loss) later in this press release. All references in this release to the “Company”, “MHI”, “we”, “us” and “our” refer to MHI Hospitality Corporation, its operating partnership and its subsidiaries and predecessors, unless the context otherwise requires or where otherwise indicated.
- Common Dividends. As previously reported on January 22, 2013, the Company announced an increase of $0.005 or 16.7 percent in the quarterly dividend (distribution) on its common stock to $0.035 per share (and unit), payable on April 11, 2013 to stockholders (and unitholders) of record as of March 15, 2013.
- RevPAR. Room revenue per available room (“RevPAR”) for the Company’s wholly-owned properties during the fourth quarter 2012 increased 4.4 percent to $69.67 over the comparable period in 2011 as a result of a 3.1 percent increase in occupancy and a 1.2 percent increase in average daily rate (“ADR”). For the year 2012, REVPAR increased 7.8 percent over 2011 to $78.65 as a result of a 4.1 percent increase in occupancy and a 3.6 percent increase in ADR.
- Hotel EBITDA. The Company generated hotel EBITDA of approximately $5.1 million during the fourth quarter 2012, an increase of 25.7 percent or approximately $1.1 million over the comparable period in 2011. In the fourth quarter 2012, hotel EBITDA margin increased 409 basis points over the comparable period in 2011 to 25.1 percent. For the year 2012, the Company generated hotel EBITDA of approximately $22.4 million, an increase of 19.9 percent or approximately $3.7 million over the prior year. For the year 2012, hotel EBITDA margin increased 257 basis points over the prior year to 25.9 percent.
- Adjusted EBITDA. The Company generated adjusted EBITDA of approximately $4.6 million during the fourth quarter 2012, an increase of 26.4 percent or approximately $1.0 million over the comparable period in 2011. For the year 2012, the Company generated adjusted EBITDA of approximately $20.2 million, an increase of 18.4 percent or approximately $3.1 million over the prior year.
- Adjusted FFO. The Company generated adjusted FFO of approximately $2.1 million during the fourth quarter 2012, an increase of 243.6 percent or approximately $1.5 million over the comparable period in 2011. For the year 2012, the Company generated adjusted FFO of approximately $9.5 million, an increase of 69.8 percent or approximately $3.9 million over the prior year.
Andrew M. Sims, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of MHI Hospitality Corporation, commented, “We posted a strong fourth quarter that rounded out excellent results for calendar 2012. Our portfolio results exceeded industry averages. We generated record hotel EBITDA and expanded EBITDA margins. We are proud of the improvements in portfolio profitability and the year’s accomplishments: an improved balance sheet, increased liquidity and a reduction in our cost of capital. All in all, a very fine performance in 2012.”