For information on TPG-Axon’s proposals and on the process for voting shares in favor of those proposals, go to www.shareholdersforsandridge.com.
A full copy of TPG-Axon’s letter to SandRidge stockholders can be found below:
IT IS TIME FOR ALL SANDRIDGE STOCKHOLDERS TO ACT - VOTE THE GREEN CONSENT CARD TODAY -
Dear Fellow SandRidge Energy Stockholders:Strategic blunders, extraordinary spending and poor governance have caused SandRidge stock to decline almost 80 percent since the 2007 IPO. This destruction of value is not an accident – it has been a result of the choices made, and actions taken, by Tom Ward and the current Board of Directors. If the Company were run properly, we believe stockholders should realize Net Asset Value (NAV) per share of $10 to $12. However, without immediate change, we believe value will continue to be destroyed by wasteful spending, high financing costs and unsustainable levels of capital expenditures. To restore value, we must take action now to replace Tom Ward and a majority of his incumbent Board. We are at a critical point for SandRidge – over the next year, the Company is planning on spending an amount equal to almost 80 percent of our entire remaining market capitalization on compensation, overhead, financing costs, and capital expenditures. We cannot afford any more waste or missteps. Can we trust Tom Ward and the current Board to make decisions in our best interests? Is the Company moving in the right direction, as he claims? Consider the following:
- Nine research analysts recently downgraded their rating on SandRidge – there are now more sell ratings on SandRidge stock than any of its self-described peers!
- The share price has continued to decline sharply and severely underperformed its peers
- Management reduced guidance for the Mississippian returns on the third quarter conference call, and has been forced to sell assets to make up for increased shortfalls in projected cashflow
- Weak results from producing Mississippian wells in the SandRidge Royalty Trusts, which management has offered little explanation for
- “The apparent failures of stewardship on this board are legion.”
- “The company’s abrupt, piecemeal approach to corporate strategy and concomitant lack of capital discipline have increasingly limited the company’s financial flexibility, and engendered a deep distrust in the market.”
- “From a stutterstepping business strategy and weak capital discipline which reduced financial flexibility so far that the sale of the company’s most valuable non-core asset cannot close its anticipated funding gap—to a compensation program which failed to tie pay to performance, making the CEO one of the highest paid in his industry even as shareholder value declined by nearly three quarters over his tenure—to approving numerous related-party transactions which, under public scrutiny, begin to look more like front-running the company’s own lease acquisitions than adding value unavailable through a less conflicted means—there is little reason to believe the outside directors who are specially charged with looking out for the interests of unaffiliated shareholders are best equipped to effect the necessary change at SandRidge.”
- “Given the fact pattern underlying the dissidents’ extensive case for change, and the evidence of appropriately extensive advance planning to mitigate risks of unintended consequences, shareholder support for a majority change of the SandRidge board is warranted.”
- “Mr. Ward’s sense of entitlement is only exceeded by his disregard and hostility towards the shareholders, the owners of the company. Not surprisingly, as the fortunes of SandRidge are sloping down, he has been unloading his shares all along the way.” – Richard Finger, Forbes, 2/11/13
- “Given SandRidge's documented governance shortcomings, the company needs to justify its current board, not just object to any alternative.” – Christopher Swann, Reuters Breakingviews, 2/11/13
- “The language in Ward's contract "doesn't pass the smell test," said Anne Sheehan, director of corporate governance for the California pension fund CalSTRS, which owns 880,000 SandRidge shares. This board has sanctioned what Ward is doing." – Michael Erman, Reuters, 2/6/13
- Announced $21 million in compensation for Mr. Ward for 2012; yet again, an extraordinary amount relative to peers, and outrageous relative to the poor stock performance of the Company
- Amended Mr. Ward’s employment agreement (December 2011) to actually expand the ability for Mr. Ward to compete with the Company!
- Purchased a new, and even better, private jet for Mr. Ward’s personal use – a Falcon 900EX (which has a 6,000 mile flying range and lists for $35 million)
- Approved more unexpected M&A, including the acquisition of Dynamic Offshore, and the sale of the Permian assets
- Enacted a poison pill, and amended the bylaws to make changing the board more difficult
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV