This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

In American Airlines Merger, One CEO Had to Go

"He's a great numbers guy," said Thomas Roberts, a partner with Weil, Gotshal & Manges, the law firm that represented American.

In the summer, Horton alerted his board that it was time to investigate a merger.

He reached out to Parker and arranged a 6:15 a.m. breakfast on July 19 at the Jefferson Hotel in Washington. Both men had oatmeal. They spoke about sharing financial documents and Horton asked Parker to ratchet down the public push for a merger.

A deal and decision about who would run the new airline was still way off.

Three days later, Horton started to spin the idea of a merger as his own.

He told The Associated Press that the first conversation the two men had about a possible merger took place in September 2011, when Horton was just American's president. They were at an exclusive gathering of top airline executives in Wyoming known as "conquistadores del cielo," or the conquerors of the skies. During a barbeque lunch, Horton approached Parker, saying there could be value in a merger.

"I made that pitch. We nodded heads to one another," Horton had said in July 2012.

On Aug. 31, the airline announced that nondisclosure agreements had been signed and they were considering a merger.

"It does not mean we are merging -- it simply means we have agreed to work together to discuss and analyze a potential merger," Parker told employees.

For the next three months, teams of lawyers, accountants and consultants started reviewing each airline's books. There were so many people that eight separate conference rooms in Weil's Dallas office were required.

US Airways executives came to Dallas to hammer out details between sips of Dr. Pepper and iced tea.

"We wowed them with Mexican food and BBQ," said Glenn West, a partner with Weil who oversaw American's negotiations.

By this point, American had secured new contracts from its unions, cut other costs and improved its revenue.

After months of negotiations, US Airways presented the merger to the creditors on Jan. 10. It proposed giving 70% of the new airline to them and American's employees and the remaining 30% to US Airways shareholders. The creditors were sold. But Horton wasn't.
5 of 6

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG
AAPL $113.29 0.00%
FB $91.01 0.00%
GOOG $630.38 0.00%
TSLA $248.48 0.00%
YHOO $33.14 0.00%

Markets

Chart of I:DJI
DOW 16,643.01 -11.76 -0.07%
S&P 500 1,988.87 +1.21 0.06%
NASDAQ 4,828.3250 +15.6170 0.32%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs