U.S. Olympic diver Chris Colwill visited middle and high school students at Faith Outreach Academy in Tampa for a STEM career assembly. As part of the event hosted by DeVry and Step Up For Students, Colwill shared how science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) can play a role in preparing an athlete to compete in the Olympic Games.
More than 50 students participated in the assembly – The Science and Technology behind Team USA – a new high school program presented by DeVry University, a part of DeVry’s family of educational institutions, designed to introduce STEM and STEM careers to students. DeVry is an official education provider to Team USA, with nearly 80 Olympic hopefuls enrolled in DeVry University and its Keller Graduate School of Management.
The Science and Technology behind Team USA is a dynamic presentation that showcases how professionals educated in STEM fields help bring the Olympic Games to life. Students learned about how nutritionists develop diets for peak athletic performance, how footwear is designed differently for sprinters versus runners, and the science behind the design of the Olympic Park that required civil engineers demolish 200 buildings, build 30 new bridges and clean two million tons of soil. They also discussed the STEM careers that develop high-demand products such as video games, movies, makeup and cars.
“At DeVry, our mission is to help educate the nation’s future workforce and prepare our students for their future success,” said Nicole Bethune-Walker, DeVry University Tampa center dean, who participated in the STEM career assembly. “We know careers in STEM are growing faster than any other career field; yet fewer and fewer high school graduates are pursuing STEM-related degree programs in college. DeVry aims to help high school educators bridge that gap and make STEM more appealing and exciting for students.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV