Texas Children's Hospital Surgeon Performs 10,000th Congenital Heart Surgery
HOUSTON, Feb. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Dr. Charles D. Fraser Jr., surgeon-in-chief at Texas Children's Hospital, performed the congenital heart team's 10,000th surgery since the renowned pediatric surgeon's arrival to Texas Children's in 1995. Fraser, also chief of congenital heart surgery at Texas Children's, performed the milestone procedure on patient Nathan Bryan, from Temple, Texas. For more information about the congenital heart surgery program at Texas Children's visit texaschildrens.org/heartcenter.
Shortly after his birth, Nathan, 2, was diagnosed with a ventricular septal defect (VSD). Nathan was eventually seen by Dr. John Pliska, pediatric cardiologist at McLane Children's Hospital Scott & White in Temple and was referred to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.
"This is a great example of how the children of Central Texas have access to premier pediatric health care through the affiliation of Scott & White Healthcare and Texas Children's Hospital. Just as this case shows, by working closely with Texas Children's Hospital we have the opportunity to bring new levels of treatment to our patients. Our partnership with Texas Children's is helping to provide the right care in the right place at the right time," said Dr. Reddy Beeram, chairman of the pediatrics department at Scott & White Healthcare and physician-in-chief of McLane Children's Hospital.A VSD is a condition which occurs when one or more holes are present in the wall separating the right and left ventricles of the heart. In Nathan's case, the hole in his heart was the size of a dime so repair was imminent. The toddler underwent a five-hour, open-heart surgery to repair this condition, which is among the most common heart defects treated by the team at Texas Children's.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV