When It Comes To Genetic Code, Researchers Prove Optimum Isn't Always Best
Because many genetic diseases are the result of improperly functioning proteins, Sachs says knowledge about how proteins are made and why they have impaired functions is critical to understanding almost all diseases.
"Understanding gene expression is crucial for understanding cancer and other diseases, because ultimately many of these processes involve either mutations of genes or altered expression of genes," said Sachs, who was asked by Liu to help on the research because of his translational expertise in Neurospora.
In addition to Liu and Sachs, the paper's authors include Mian Zhou, Jinhu Guo, Joonseok Cha and Michael Chae, all from the Department of Physiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center; She Chen from the National Institute of Biological Sciences in Beijing; and Jose M. Barral from the Departments of Neuroscience and Cell Biology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at UT Medical Branch in Galveston.
To learn more about Liu and his research, go to http://profiles.utsouthwestern.edu/profile/42920/yi-liu.html.For more on Sachs and his research, visit http://www.bio.tamu.edu/FACMENU/FACULTY/SachsM.php. More news about Texas A&M University, go to http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/ Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tamu/ SOURCE Texas A&M University
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV