Arrest In Greek Gold Mining Company Attack
THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) â¿¿ A Greek prosecutor ordered the release Monday of a 54-year-old man hours after he was arrested in connection with an attack on a gold mining company in which about 40 masked intruders torched machinery and vehicles.
Police had arrested the man for "moral instigation" of the attack due to his contributions to an anti-mining blog. The prosecutor later ordered him released without officially charging him, while also ordering the investigation to continue.
Opposition to the Skouries mining project in northern Greece's Halkidiki peninsula runs deep, and the area has seen numerous protests in recent months, some of which have turned violent. The mining company, Hellas Gold, is 95 percent owned by Canada's Eldorado Gold Inc. and is planning a gold mine and processing plant in the area.
Residents are divided between those who fear environmental destruction and those who support the mine for its job prospects at a time of severe financial crisis and spiraling unemployment.In the overnight attack between Saturday and Sunday, intruders overpowered security guards at the Skouries facility or forced them to flee before dousing machinery, vehicles and containers used as offices with gasoline and setting the place alight.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV