Indiana University is a major multi-campus public research institution and a world leader in higher education, serving 130,000 students, faculty and staff. The university needed information from their IT service management (ITSM) solution that could guide important strategic decisions – such as resource allocation to support the IT needs of its learning community. The prospect of becoming an outsourced IT service management partner for Ivy Tech Community College, which would increase contact volume 60 to 70 percent, made this need even more urgent.
To address this need, Indiana University created a dashboard based largely on data from the BMC FootPrints ITSM solution from BMC Software (NASDAQ: BMC). The dashboard enabled the IT organization to transform data into information, and then into knowledge upon which to base its actions.
“Our dashboard leverages great tools such as BMC’s FootPrints solution,” said Cathy O’Bryan, director of client support at Indiana University. “We can tell how to staff to meet demand by looking at historical data, and we can catch trends quickly enough to be able to adjust and align our resources.”
The ChallengeFaced with a 60 to 70 percent rise in the demands on its IT support organization, the university needed information that would drive decisions that enable the most efficient use of resources. The Solution The company leveraged information from the BMC FootPrints solution and integrated it with other data sources to create a dashboard that provided high-level information plus granular detail when required. Benefits By exploiting data made available by the BMC FootPrints solution, Indiana University has experienced a number of benefits, including:
- Higher efficiency through greater productivity in lower volume time frames
- Increased ability to intelligently prioritize resources
- Increased ability to quantify the value of high-profile IT initiatives
- Successful preparation for a 60 to 70 percent increase in contact volume
- Listen to the IT Support Analytics Means Better Decisions webinar
- Download the FootPrints free trial
- Access the BMC FootPrints community
- Visit the On the Mark blog
- Follow @BMCSoftware and @BMC_FootPrints on Twitter
- Become a fan of BMC on Facebook