BRUSSELS, Feb. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Belgium's leading service provider, Belgacom, today announced plans to expand its network infrastructure as it continues to address the exponential growth in bandwidth demand driven by demand from customers, businesses, data centers and content platforms.
Belgium is home to a large number of international organizations, including the European Commission. In deploying Alcatel-Lucent's Extensible Routing System (XRS), Belgacom will be better able to handle the data demand created by such institutions as well as residential customers, making use of significantly more capacity to meet current and future bandwidth demands being driven by video, cloud-based applications and immersive multimedia delivered across an array of increasingly capable devices.
The XRS system also takes up less physical space and consumes dramatically less power than alternative routers, delivering cost and efficiency benefits to operators like Belgacom.Core routers direct data traffic at the heart of the Internet network and determine the speed at which 'packets' of data are delivered. Alcatel-Lucent's 7950 XRS router is the highest performing and most reliable core router available. It dramatically lowers operational complexity and deployment risks for service providers while providing an immediate boost to the IP core. Key Facts
- The 7950 XRS family brings a huge boost in capacity, efficiency and flexibility to the heart of Internet Protocol (IP) networks. The routers provide five times the data throughput of existing alternatives while consuming only one-third the electricity.
- The XRS brings significant operational cost savings by reducing requirements for physical footprint and power per bit. Over a five-year horizon of network growth, Belgacom can save more than 50% of their space and power costs using the 7950 XRS.
- The 7950 XRS allows Belgacom to support the rapid adoption of 'cloud' applications, the explosion in video traffic and the widespread use of smartphones and tablets and prepares the core of their network for the next decade of growth.
- In 2004, Alcatel-Lucent reshaped the edge router market with the launch of its Service Router (SR). Today, it has a 25% market share, with more than 450 customers worldwide in IP routing.
- Telefonica recently announced that it will also deploy the XRS in Argentina and the Czech Republic.
- In November 2012, Alcatel-Lucent's XRS was awarded the prize of Best New Product (Telecom) by Light Reading.
- Product web site: http://bit.ly/12MByki
- Photos: Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS family: http://bit.ly/Z3c4ib
- General ALU Flickr link: http://bit.ly/Z3cKEg
- Videos, slides and more from the Annual Tech Symposium: http://bit.ly/12qhhW7
- Blog: Alcatel-Lucent's New Core Router: off to a big start http://bit.ly/Vnibkj