The Residential Energy Credit Is Back
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One of the expired tax breaks extended by the recently passed American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 is the cumulative "Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit" for qualified energy efficiency improvements or residential energy property costs for your primary principal residence.
The credit, claimed on IRS Form 5695, is 10% of the qualified cost, up to a maximum of $500. This is a "lifetime" limit. If you claimed at least $500 in energy credits from 2006 through 2011 you are not eligible for the credit for 2012.
The credit can be claimed on:
- Biomass stoves
- Heating, ventilating and air conditioning (advanced main air circulating fan, air source heat pumps, central air conditioning, gas, propane or oil hot water boiler and natural gas, propane or oil furnace)
- Water heaters (gas, propane or oil water heater and electric heat pump water heater)
- Roofing (metal and asphalt)
- Windows and doors
Installation costs are also eligible for the credit on the first three of the above items. Some items have individual limitations of from $50 to $300.There are very specific "energy efficiency" requirements for each of the items. Not every new window, door, boiler, furnace, heater or roofing improvement will qualify. You can go to the Energy Star website to find out what the specific qualifications are for the individual items. This credit was extended through Dec. 31 so it will also be available on qualified purchases and improvements made in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV