PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- February is a retail no-man's land where January's post-holiday deals go to die and March's malaise hasn't quite sunk in yet. That said, there are a few Presidents Day deals for consumers here and there.
Car dealers have enough bunting, streamers and wacky waving inflatable arm guys outside their showrooms to convince the more easily distracted customers that Presidents Day is the midwinter equivalent of Black Friday, but that's simply not the case. After the recession took effect in 2008 and made February sales stronger than those seen during that year's holiday season, February has ranked among the worst retail sales months of the year, according to Census Bureau data.
February retail sales cratered at $337 billion in 2009 before inching back to the record $372 billion reached in 2008. Last year, February sales hit a whopping $404.7 billion but still fell shy of March's $406 billion total. After the holidays, the post-holiday sales and Valentine's Day, America seems just fine with putting away its wallet until that end-of-March Easter uptick comes around.
If shoppers know their retail calendar and are willing to brave the elements and give up a day off on President's Day, there are still some savings to be found. With help from the folks at Lifehacker, we came up with five items that are best bought by Presidents Day or only slightly later:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV