David Ruth, Executive Director of the Elsevier Foundation, said, "The Elsevier Foundation recognizes how important professional visibility is to developing high-profile international scientific careers. Through our New Scholars grant programs we strive to support early-career women scholars with mentoring, research retreats, professional visibility, childcare, work-life integration and recognition programs. The awards for these impressive women scientists represents a cooperative effort supported by Elsevier, OWSD, AAAS and TWAS to build research capacity and advance scientific knowledge throughout the developing world - and what better place than the annual AAAS conference to raise awareness among scientists, policymakers, journalists and the public about the need to retain and celebrate top women scientists."
The 2014 awards will be launched on April 2, 2013 and the theme will be Chemistry.
# # #
Notes to EditorsAbout the winners The 2013 winners, all life scientists, are being recognized for their research excellence. The winners:
- Nasima Akhter, Bangadesh - Medical sciences For her research on foetal screening for congenital anomalies using ultrasonography and her introduction of the use of inactive iodide adjunct medication with radioiodine therapy in Graves' disease.
- Huda Omer Ba Saleem, Yemen - Community and public health For her dedication in the fight against cancer and for the well-being of women and children in the Arab region.
- Erdenechimeg Namjil, Mongolia - Biochemistry For her investigations of catalytically active antibodies with oxidoreductase activities from the sera of rats.
- Adediwura Fred-Jaiyesimi, Nigeria - Pharmacognosy and the antidiabetic properties of Nigerian medicinal plants For her work on the medicinal uses of plants, particularly her research on the hypoglycaemic and a -amylase-inhibitory activities of the extracts of two local plant species.
- Dionicia Gamboa, Peru - Molecular biology / parasitology For her multidisciplinary approach to fighting leishmaniasis and malaria, in particular for her studies into the molecular epidemiology of these diseases in endemic regions.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts