President Barack Obama Participates In Youth Guidance's 'B.A.M. - Sports Edition' Program At Hyde Park Academy
CHICAGO, Feb. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of a youth counseling and after-school sports program that demonstrably increases high school graduation rates and decreases violent crime, President Barack Obama this afternoon attended Youth Guidance's B.A.M. (Becoming A Man™) – Sports Edition session at Hyde Park Academy High School and visited with the 15 students in the program.
The president participated in a group session with students and counselors. He heard firsthand how B.A.M. – Sports helps students address some of their toughest challenges and encourages them to stay involved in school and the community.
"Meeting with the president was, for lack of better words, a great experience," said Corey, who attended the B.A.M. session. "Having him sit down in the circle with us and share his past experiences and compare them to ours is amazing. It's inspiring to hear his story and know he is not different from us."
B.A.M. – Sports, with an after-school sports component run by World Sport Chicago (WSC) , is a counseling, mentorship, violence prevention and educational enrichment program that promotes social-emotional and behavioral competencies in male youth from at-risk communities. A study by The University of Chicago Crime Lab released in 2012 proves this cost-effective program works. The study found that B.A.M. – Sports:
- reduced failing grades by 37 percent
- decreased violent crime arrests by 44 percent
- increased graduation rates by 10-23 percent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV