NEW YORK, Feb. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless today announced the completion of $267 million in wireless network enhancements in the New York Metro Region in 2012, increasing the company's regional network investment to more than $3 billion since 2000.
During the year, Verizon Wireless expanded its 4G LTE network, providing customers with speeds up to ten times faster than 3G to more than 470 markets nationwide. In 2012 the company expanded 4G LTE coverage in portions of New York, Northern New Jersey and Long Island.
"We're proud to announce this $267 million in network investment throughout the New York Metro Region. Today more Verizon Wireless customers have access to our 4G LTE network, empowering them to stay in touch with family, friends and colleagues, at speeds up to 10 times faster than before. We will continue expanding and enhancing our 4G LTE network to provide the best wireless experience possible," said Pat Devlin, regional president, Verizon Wireless.
Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $80 billion since it was formed in 2000 to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide networks and to add new services.Verizon Wireless performed well in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, due in large part to the billions of dollars of investments made into its wireless network and emergency preparedness. Verizon Wireless deployed nearly 20 emergency mobile assets to the hardest hit areas across the Northeast enabling customers to charge their equipment, make free phone calls, obtain accessories and arrange for FEMA assistance during the recovery and rebuilding process. Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Timeline in the New York Metro Region
- December 2010
- Verizon launched the blazing fast 4G LTE network in the New York Metro Region, establishing 4G LTE access across New York City, as well as Nassau and Westchester Counties.
- November 2011
- 4G LTE service was made available in Northern New Jersey, with residents in Somerset, Bergen, Hudson, Middlesex, Essex and Union Counties seeing coverage for the first time.
- May 2012
- Verizon expanded 4G LTE network coverage across Long Island ( Nassau County, Huntington, South Shore, and eastern end of Suffolk County).
- Looking Forward
- As expansions continue, the entire New York Metro Region—New York City, Long Island, Westchester and Rockland Counties, and areas of Northern New Jersey—is expected to receive full 4G LTE coverage by the end of this year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts