Fijians Gaining Access To Internet
Telecentres Provide Internet Connectivity for Ordinary Fijians
SUVA, Fiji, Feb. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Approximately 60,000 Fijians will gain access to the internet for the first time as the Fijian Government opens "Telecentres" in schools across the country.
Each Telecentre offers schoolchildren and members of the surrounding community access to Dell and Lenovo computers connected to the Internet, web cameras, headsets, document scanners and printing services - free of charge.
The Attorney-General and Minister for Communications, Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, said that the Telecentre project was one of Government's most important initiatives."Providing free Internet access to ordinary Fijians is one the best ways we can empower our people," he said. "It connects them to the world, offers them exciting new opportunities, and provides them access to important information." The Telecentres will be used by school children during school hours and by the rest of the community after hours and on weekends. This includes many ordinary villagers and farmers who have never had Internet access before. The first Telecentres were launched by the Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama, in October 2011, at Suva Sangam College, Levuka Public School, and Rakiraki Public High School. Recently, Telecentres were opened by the Prime Minister at Baulevu High School and Tailevu North College in the Central Division and by the Attorney-General at Nukuloa College in the Western Division. Another five will open at locations around the country in the coming weeks, followed by ten more later in the year. "20 Telecentres will be operational by this time next year," the Attorney-General said. "And we believe that at a direct result of this initiative, approximately 60,000 Fijians – including 5,000 students – will gain access to the Internet."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV