Does The Color Of Your Car Matter To Your Insurer?
Question: Please settle an argument between me and my friend. He believes that people with red or other “flashy” colors pay more for car insurance than someone with a bland color like white or black. I say it doesn't make a difference. Who is right?
Answer: You'll be happy to know that you are correct; the color of your car doesn't make a difference to car insurance companies.
Your friend has fallen victim to a persistent auto insurance myth that asserts red cars are more expensive to insure because they attract police and have more aggressive drivers. In all reality, car insurance companies don't ask about the color of your car when you are quoted for a car insurance policy (try comparison shopping for a policy now and see) or at any other time.
Some believe that your car's vehicle identification number (VIN), which is required information when purchasing a car insurance policy, reveals your vehicle's color; however, this is not true either. If you decode your VIN, you'll learn specifics about your car, such as the model, make, year, body style and engine size, but no information on the vehicle's color.You VIN may help an insurer confirm that you listed the right model and body type for your vehicle, but typically it's really needed so that your insurance company can transmit your policy information to your state's Department of Motor Vehicles database. Insurers instead are interested in finding out about certain risk factors to calculate your auto insurance premium. Your driving and claims records, as well as the type of car you drive, are all rating factors that car insurance companies take into account. The color of the car when you were ticketed for going 15 mph over the limit can be red or white or brown. Your insurer doesn't care. Your car insurance company does care about your driving behavior and what kind of risk that makes you to insure.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV