"If you look at it in the beginning of the morning with Empire manufacturing slightly better than expected, then what you also had was industrial production was slightly worse than expected, then the consumer sentiment number kind of came in right on target," said Doug Roberts, chief investment strategist of ChannelCapitalResearch.com. "So at this point, there's no real catalyst to either go up or down based on economic news."
Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was off 2.7%.
SPDR Gold Trust was shedding 1.8% on higher-than-average volume, and iShares Gold Trust (IAU) also decreased 1.8%.-- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV