USD Goes Big-time With Fowler Park
By BERNIE WILSON
SAN DIEGO (AP) â¿¿ The University of San Diego finally has a sweet little ballpark to match its national reputation, even if construction workers have to hammer, saw and paint right up until the first pitch Friday night.
Fowler Park more than rivals Tony Gwynn Stadium, the jewel nestled onto San Diego State's campus a few miles to the east.
"It's like going to Disneyland," said Rich Hill, who is entering his 15th season as coach and has led the Toreros to five West Coast Conference titles and seven NCAA regional appearances. "I mean, the attention to detail throughout the structure, it's crazy. I've never seen anything like this."The ballpark cost $13.8 million, the bulk of which was donated by Ron Fowler, the executive chairman of the San Diego Padres, and his wife, Alexis. Fowler, who's made a fortune from his beer distributorships, also is chairman of USD's board of trustees and has a daughter who graduated from the university. Fowler Park opens under the lights Friday night with the first of a three-game series against SDSU, which is coached by Gwynn. The nationally ranked Toreros are led by third baseman Kris Bryant and right-hander Michael Wagner, both juniors. It was built in just more than nine months on the site of Cunningham Stadium, which was embarrassingly basic for such a good program. Tucked into a natural bowl-like setting, it had no lights, simple dugouts and metal bleachers that stretched 34 rows uphill, with no handrails. "Let's just say the playing field itself was the best part of it," Fowler said. "It was, I would say, not much better than a high school field." Cunningham Stadium was built over the years by John Cunningham, who coached for 35 years before making way for Hill. The playing surface at Fowler Park will be known as Cunningham Field.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV