IT & Network Vendors Race To Build Real-Time OSS For The Cloud, Heavy Reading Says
BOSTON, Feb. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The need to automate and manage the network alongside cloud computing and storage is becoming acute, and as networking and the cloud converge, market advantage is tipping back in favor of network equipment vendors over IT vendors as providers of the overarching orchestration layer for the cloud, according to the latest report from Heavy Reading Service Provider IT Insider ( www.heavyreading.com/servsoftware), a paid research service of Heavy Reading ( www.heavyreading.com).
Real-Time OSS for SDN & the Cloud looks at both vendor and operator approaches to the next-generation management of service provider infrastructure and the new imperatives for OSS as that infrastructure is transformed by cloud, SDN and network functions virtualization (NFV). It also profiles nine leading vendors and two leading operators in this market.
For a list of companies analyzed in this report, http://twimgs.com/audiencedevelopment/AA/Light_Reading/spiti0213_companies.pdf
"Communications service providers regard enterprise cloud services as a key money-spinner for the future, with the potential to compensate for declining revenues elsewhere," says Caroline Chappell, Analyst at Heavy Reading and author of the report. "As they ramp up their cloud businesses, however, the chasm between the abstraction and automation capabilities they have on the IT side of the house and the inflexible, unvirtualized network yawns ever wider."The converged cloud infrastructure will depend heavily on emerging SDN and NFV developments, Chappell says. "However, it will take a long time for such developments to become ubiquitous across most operators' networks," she continues. "Vendors are also seizing on the real-time OSS opportunity, especially network equipment vendors that are promoting SDN and NFV and that believe they can insert themselves into the cloud management/OSS value chain." Key findings of Real-Time OSS for SDN & the Cloud include:
- Vendors' main competitors for real-time OSS that orchestrate the management of cloud and network are operators.
- Equipment vendors and new entrants are gaining the upper hand over IT OSS vendors, as cloud management increasingly means managing SDN and virtualized network functions.
- Alcatel-Lucent leads in orchestrating cloud and WAN, but Ericsson will launch a rival capability in 2013 and VMware has big plans for converged cloud and network management.
- Modeling application cloud requirements is key to policy-driven orchestration of infrastructure.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV