NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Every once in a while, a story like this comes along.
According to a press release sent out this week, Chubby Checker (born Ernest Evans) is suing HP for half a billion dollars. That's half a billion dollars.
For those of you too young to remember: Chubby, now 71, was a major rock star in the early 60s. One of his songs was responsible for creating a monstrous dance craze with the same name: "The Twist." It's the only song, ever, to reach No. 1 on the charts twice (September, 1960 and January, 1962). He had a number of huge follow-up hits as well.
The lawsuit details the irreparable damage and harm that Hewlett Packard's bad business dealings caused Chubby Checker and his company. The complaint further states that despite numerous attempts to cease the 'app,' Hewlett Packard refused to dismantle the operation and, therefore, continues to perpetuate degrading and derogatory content directly linked to Chubby Checker. The 'app' adversely affects Chubby Checker's brand and value and if allowed to continue, will cause serious damage to the Plaintiff's goodwill and will tarnish his image that he has worked to maintain over the last 50 years. The lawsuit alleges that the egregious and flagrant acts of Hewlett Packard and Palm, Inc., if not stopped immediately, will permit Defendants to enjoy profits to which they are not entitled.I spoke with HP, which sent me the company's official response: "The application was removed in September 2012 and is no longer on any Palm or HP hosted web site." We'll get you more details as they become available. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV