The Upsides And Downsides Of An Aging Workforce
In case you weren't convinced by the previous findings, a new survey indicates more American workers are expecting to delay retirement in the wake of financial challenges.
A report released this month by The Conference Board repeats what numerous studies have shown before: Many of those nearing retirement age are planning to stay in the workforce longer as they grapple with declining savings rates and economic uncertainty. According to the study's authors, this situation has potential upsides and downsides for U.S businesses.
Savings rates and assets on the decline
Within its report, The Conference Board notes lost savings is a major factor in employees deciding to work longer. In 2012, 62 percent of 45-60 year olds saw the value of their financial assets drop 20 percent or more and said they plan to delay retirement. That's up from the 42 percent of workers who had that type of savings decline in 2010 and were planning to work longer.
The following factors helped contribute to the increased percentage of workers seeing a decline in their assets:
- Job losses
- Salary reductions
- Savings withdrawals
- Depressed housing prices
Older workers a mixed bag for businessesAn experienced workforce may be a mixed blessing for businesses, says The Conference Board. Some industries may be faced with a skill gap or a worker shortage. Firms in these fields may benefit from having an older and more experienced workforce available.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV