Warren Buffett's holding company opened a position in Verisign with 3,685,700 shares. Berkshire also started a stake in food-processing giant Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), with 5,956,600 shares.
Shares of VeriSign, which provides domain name registry services, closed up 0.2% to $45.67 during Thursday's trading. The company's stock has risen almost 9% during the past three months.
Buffett's fund, which announced a $28 billion deal to acquire H.J. Heinz (HNZ) on Thursday, also increased its stakes in a host of companies, including DIRECTV (DTV), General Motors (GM) and IBM (IBM), according to the 13Fs.Berkshire increased its DIRECTV stake by 4,481,900 shares, taking its position to 34,037,500 shares. The company took its GM position to 25 million shares from 15 million. The Oracle of Omaha made a more modest increase to his IBM holding, adding 597,588 shares, bringing Berkshire's total to 68,115,484. Buffett, who has traditionally avoided tech stocks, initiated a position in IBM in 2011, revealing that he was won over by IBM's 2010 annual report and the company's history of strong leadership. The billionaire, who subsequently increased his position, also lauded IBM's extensive reach into corporate IT departments, where it sells a vast array of wares. -- Written by James Rogers in New York Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV