Early-Career Journalists Urged To Apply For Greg Clark Award
TORONTO, Feb. 14, 2013 /CNW/ - Early-career journalists looking to spend a week exploring their beat in greater depth are encouraged to apply for The Canadian Journalism Foundation's Greg Clark Award. The award was created in memory of one of Canada's greatest journalists - a war correspondent, an avid outdoorsman, a humorist, but above all, a great reporter who excelled at storytelling. The deadline for applications is March 15, 2013.
The Greg Clark Award is unique in Canadian journalism, designed to offer working journalists a chance to gain insight and meet key decision-makers on their beats. The successful applicant will get an opportunity to spend up to a week observing the inner workings of an organization not usually accessible to the working journalist.
All arrangements for the award assignment will be made in consultation with the award winner. The successful applicant will have expenses covered for any travel and accommodation costs.
Last year's winner, Tamara Baluja , travelled to British Columbia's Haida Gwaii to report on positive trends in First Nations' education. She won the award while working as a reporter at The Globe and Mail and is now a freelance journalist."The award gave me the confidence to take that leap into the world of freelancing," says Baluja. "It can be a challenge to get the attention of editors when there are so many talented and more experienced writers trying to sell stories. The Greg Clark Award was a door opener that led to relationships with new editors." Baluja cited the experience itself as eye opening. "I could have never travelled to such remote reserves on my own dime," she says, "and as a freelancer, that made it easier to get to stories that you want to tell but don't have easy access.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV