New Report Offers State-by-State Analysis Of America's Small Businesses
Small Businesses Employ 55 Million Workers, Key to States' Economic Recovery
WASHINGTON, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Small businesses are leading most states' economic recovery, according to a new state-by-state report released today by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Office of Advocacy, an independent office that serves as the voice for small business within the federal government.
The Small Business Profile for the States and Territories, an annual analysis of each state's small businesses, finds that small businesses employ 55 million workers nationwide, nearly half – 49.1 percent – of the private-sector labor force. All in all, the country's 27.8 million small businesses now represent 99.7 percent of all employers in the United States. The report also states that self-employment improved over the last decade nationwide, while minority self-employment saw the largest growth.
"From coast to coast, states all across the nation are depending on small businesses to lead them out of this economic downturn," said Dr. Winslow Sargeant, Chief Counsel for Advocacy. "Most of the country's small businesses continue to be very small, having fewer than 20 employees, but they paint a big picture of a recovering America. Advocacy's state-by-state analyses give us a clear understanding of just how important small businesses are to each state's economy – and to the nation."Each state's small business profile contains detailed information about the number and type of businesses in each state, business owner demographics, industrial makeup, business turnover and income and finance. Most data are also presented in comparison with similar data over time. Each state's small business profile can be read or downloaded by visiting the Office of Advocacy's website at www.sba.gov/advocacy/848. Highlights of the national small business profile include: Overall Economy
- The U.S. economy was strong in 2011, with real gross domestic product increasing 3.9 percent and private-sector employment increasing 1.6 percent.
- The national unemployment rate decreased by 0.7 percent in 2011.
- During the midst of the economic recession, the employment situation from 2007-2010 was weak, and small businesses had a net job loss.
- The nation's small businesses employed 55 million workers in 2010, with most of the employment coming from firms with 20 – 499 employees.
- Most of the country's small businesses are very small as 79.4 percent of all businesses have no employees, and most have fewer than 20 employees.
- In 2011, the number of opening establishments was higher than closing establishments, ending the year with a gain in net employment.
- Self-employment improved over the last decade by 5.8 percent.
- Minority self-employment saw the largest growth overall in the last decade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV