For the three months and full year ended December 31, 2012 and 2011, non-GAAP income from operations is determined by taking income from operations and adding back stock-based compensation expense, employer payroll taxes on stock transactions, amortization of intangible assets, contingent consideration adjustment and lease termination costs. Non-GAAP net income is determined by taking GAAP net income before provision for income taxes and adding back stock-based compensation expense, employer payroll taxes on stock transactions, amortization of intangible assets, contingent consideration adjustment and lease termination costs and the result is tax affected at an estimated long-term effective tax rate of 32%. QlikTech believes these adjustments provide useful information to both management and investors due to the following factors:
- Stock-based compensation. Although stock-based compensation is an important aspect of the compensation of QlikTech’s employees and executives, determining the fair value of the stock-based instruments involves a high degree of judgment and estimation and the expense recorded may bear little resemblance to the actual value realized upon the future exercise or termination of the related stock-based awards. Furthermore, unlike cash compensation, the value of stock-based compensation is determined using a complex formula that incorporates factors, such as market volatility, that are beyond QlikTech’s control. Management believes it is useful to exclude stock-based compensation in order to better understand the long-term performance of QlikTech’s core business and to facilitate comparison of its results to those of peer companies.
- Employer payroll taxes on stock transactions. The amount of employer payroll taxes on stock transactions is dependent on QlikTech’s stock price and other factors that are beyond QlikTech’s control and do not correlate to the operation of its business.
- Amortization of intangible assets. A portion of the purchase price of QlikTech’s acquisitions is generally allocated to intangible assets, such as intellectual property, and is subject to amortization. However, QlikTech does not acquire businesses on a predictable cycle. Additionally, the amount of an acquisition’s purchase price allocated to intangible assets and the term of its related amortization can vary significantly and are unique to each acquisition. Therefore, management believes that the presentation of non-GAAP financial measures that adjust for the amortization of intangible assets provides investors and others with a consistent basis for comparison across accounting periods.
- Contingent consideration adjustment. In January 2010, QlikTech acquired Syllogic Corporation, a reseller of QlikView software in Japan. The purchase price included contingent cash consideration of up to $0.8 million. At each reporting date, management remeasures the contingent consideration at fair value until the contingency is resolved. During the three months ended December 31, 2011, a charge of $0.3 million was recorded related to changes in fair value of contingent consideration liabilities and is included in QlikTech’s consolidated statement of income. Management believes that these costs are generally non-recurring and do not correlate to the ongoing operation of its business.
- Lease termination costs. Lease termination costs include termination costs to settle lease obligations related to facilities that are no longer occupied as well as the write-off of leasehold improvements related to those facilities that are no longer in use. Management believes that these costs are generally non-recurring and do not correlate to the ongoing operation of its business.
To determine the revenue growth rates on a constant currency basis for the three months and full year ended December 31, 2012, revenue from entities reporting in foreign currencies was translated into U.S. dollars using the comparable prior year period’s foreign currency exchange rates.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts