EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA are not recognized terms under GAAP and do not purport to be an alternative to operating income or net income as an indicator of operating performance or any other GAAP measure. EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA are not complete net cash flow measures because EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA are measures of liquidity that do not include reductions for cash payments for an entity’s obligation to service its debt, fund its working capital, capital expenditures and acquisitions and pay its income taxes and dividends. Rather, EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA are two potential indicators of an entity’s ability to fund these cash requirements. EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA are not complete measures of an entity’s profitability because they do not include costs and expenses for depreciation and amortization, interest and related expenses, loss on extinguishment of debt, acquisition-related transaction costs and income taxes. Because not all companies use identical calculations, this presentation of EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA may not be comparable to other similarly titled measures of other companies. However, EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA can still be useful in evaluating our performance against our peer companies because management believes these measures provide users with valuable insight into key components of GAAP amounts.
B&G Foods, Inc. and Subsidiaries
Items Affecting Comparability — Reconciliation of Adjusted Information to GAAP Information
(In thousands, except per share data)
|Fourth Quarter Ended||Year Ended|
|December 29, 2012||December 31, 2011||December 29, 2012||December 31, 2011|
|Reported net income||$||9,559||$||12,255||$||59,260||$||50,243|
|Loss on extinguishment of debt, net of tax (1)||6,707||—||6,707||—|
|Acquisition-related transaction costs, net of tax||745||906||745||906|
|Non-cash adjustments on interest rate swap,net of tax (2)||—||1,533||—||1,953|
|Adjusted net income||$||17,011||$||14,694||$||66,712||$||53,102|
|Adjusted diluted earnings per share||$||0.32||$||0.30||$||1.35||$||1.09|
(1) Loss on extinguishment of debt for the fourth quarter and full-year fiscal 2012 includes costs relating to our partial redemption of $101.5 million aggregate principal amount of our 7.625% senior notes, including the repurchase premium and other expenses of $7.7 million, the write-off of deferred debt financing costs of $1.5 million and the write-off of unamortized discount of $0.5 million. Loss on extinguishment during fiscal 2012 also includes costs related to the amendment and restatement of our credit agreement, including the write-off of deferred debt financing costs of $0.4 million, unamortized discount of $0.1 million and other expenses of $0.2 million. During fiscal 2011 B&G Foods did not have any loss on extinguishment of debt.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts