(2) Loss on extinguishment of debt for the fourth quarter and full-year fiscal 2012 includes costs relating to our partial redemption of $101.5 million aggregate principal amount of our 7.625% senior notes, including the repurchase premium and other expenses of $7.7 million, the write-off of deferred debt financing costs of $1.5 million and the write-off of unamortized discount of $0.5 million. Loss on extinguishment during fiscal 2012 also includes costs related to the amendment and restatement of our credit agreement, including the write-off of deferred debt financing costs of $0.4 million, unamortized discount of $0.1 million and other expenses of $0.2 million. During fiscal 2011 B&G Foods did not have any loss on extinguishment of debt.(3) EBITDA is a non-GAAP financial measure used by management to measure operating performance. A non-GAAP financial measure is defined as a numerical measure of our financial performance that excludes or includes amounts so as to be different than the most directly comparable measure calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP in our consolidated balance sheets and related consolidated statements of operations, comprehensive income, changes in stockholders’ equity and cash flows. We define EBITDA as net income before net interest expense, income taxes, depreciation and amortization and loss on extinguishment of debt. We define adjusted EBITDA as EBITDA adjusted for acquisition-related transaction costs, which include outside fees and expenses and restructuring and consolidation costs of acquisitions incurred in fiscal 2012 and 2011. Management believes that it is useful to eliminate net interest expense, income taxes, depreciation and amortization, loss on extinguishment of debt and acquisition-related transaction costs because it allows management to focus on what it deems to be a more reliable indicator of ongoing operating performance and our ability to generate cash flow from operations. We use EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA in our business operations, among other things, to evaluate our operating performance, develop budgets and measure our performance against those budgets, determine employee bonuses and evaluate our cash flows in terms of cash needs. We also present EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA because we believe they are useful indicators of our historical debt capacity and ability to service debt and because covenants in our credit agreement and our senior notes indenture contain ratios based on these measures. As a result, internal management reports used during monthly operating reviews feature the EBITDA and adjusted EBITDA metrics. However, management uses these metrics in conjunction with traditional GAAP operating performance and liquidity measures as part of its overall assessment of company performance and liquidity and therefore does not place undue reliance on these measures as its only measures of operating performance and liquidity.
B&G Foods Reports Strong Net Sales And Earnings Growth For Fourth Quarter And Full-Year 2012
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.