News Summary: US Jobless Claims Fall, Outlook Up
By The Associated Press
FEWER SEEK BENEFITS: The outlook for the U.S. job market brightened after a government report showed a sharp drop in the number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits. Weekly applications fell 27,000 to 341,000.
GOOD SIGN: Economists were encouraged by the decline but want to see the progress sustained and more jobs created. The huge snowstorm that affected the Northeastern states over the weekend could push up applications in the coming weeks.
MORE JOBS NEEDED: Falling applications signal fewer layoffs. More hiring usually follows, but not always. A separate government report earlier this week showed that layoffs fell to a 10-year low in December. But overall hiring didn't pick up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV