NEW YORK (
Gold for April delivery shed $9.60 to settle at $1,635.50 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, said that the most recent gross domestic product flash showed 0.6% contraction in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared against the prior quarter.
"That basically hurt the euro today, which in return weighed on gold given the positive correlation," said Howard Wen, a precious metals analyst at HSBC Bank USA. "You also have a slight selloff in equities and all the other risky assets, so today was pretty much a dollar-strength, long-dollar day."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV