National League Of Cities Supports The Marketplace Fairness Act - Urges Quick Adoption
WASHINGTON, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following statement is from Marie Lopez Rogers, president of the National League of Cities (NLC) and mayor of Avondale, AZ in response to today's introduction of the Marketplace Fairness Act:
"We support quick adoption of Marketplace Fairness, which helps Main Street retailers by putting them on an equal footing with their online counterparts. The bill also gives back control to local governments over their own resources by removing another obstacle from Washington that prevents local governments from deciding what is best for their community.
"During these difficult economic times, and with the potential impacts of the looming sequestration, cities will need the Marketplace Fairness Act now more than ever. It will help our cities and towns by allowing them to collect all the taxes that are owed and by providing an efficient mechanism for shoppers to pay their sales taxes."The National League of Cities is extremely supportive of the bill. It is one of our top priorities for the year. We urge Congress to move this bicameral and bipartisan bill on a fast track. It deserves hearings and a vote having languished for far too long without proper consideration. It is time to give our local communities control over their own finances without Washington interference. "Senators Lamar Alexander, Dick Durbin, Michael Enzi, Heidi Heitkamp, and Representatives John Conyers, Jackie Speier, Peter Welch, and Steve Womack are all to be commended for their leadership and support on this issue. We look forward to working with them to see Marketplace Fairness signed into law." The National League of Cities is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV